Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An oscillation with a frequency equal to an integral submultiple of another frequency.
- ‘The Grimm Ambient drags even lower with ‘Bathory,’ starting with thudding subharmonics, spreading out and shuddering to reluctant end.’
- ‘While the cell viability and transport data did not show any correlation with subharmonic emission, they correlated with the broadband noise, suggesting a dominant contribution of transient cavitation.’
- ‘Kosmos offers good, clean subharmonics: There is no mistracking, and it is quiet and clean.’
- ‘The subharmonics are too erratic to be electronics.’
- ‘There's something alive in these images, but its pulse is so low as to be subharmonic.’
Denoting or involving a subharmonic.
- ‘Acoustic guitar and bass receive treatment from a dbx 120 subharmonic processor.’
- ‘This feature separates a stereo signal's normal bass content for recording just the subharmonic effect to a separate track.’
- ‘Peak amplitude of subharmonic component was measured by continuously averaging the acoustic spectrum until a steady value was reached.’
- ‘His most important work was in function theory, in particular Nevanlinna theory and the growth of subharmonic functions.’
- ‘These perturbations also transform the spectral profile, inducing subharmonic frequencies, transitions to period doubling and tripling, superharmonic resonance, and chaos.’
- ‘Positive feedback in the form of increased intracellular hydrostatic pressure drives the system to new states with transient increases in subharmonic signal frequencies.’
- ‘In 1934 he studied subharmonic functions, building on the work of Riesz.’
- ‘There appears to be no unique correlation between either viability or transport with subharmonic energy density.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.