Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Situated or occurring underneath a glacier or ice sheet.
- ‘Satellite imagery has revolutionized the mapping of subglacial landforms such as glacial lineations and facilitated the mapping of former glacier beds at ice-sheet scales.’
- ‘The majority of these flutes commence in the lee of Carboniferous and Permian boulders, indicative of a local subglacial origin.’
- ‘Piotrowski discussed van Weert et al.'s modelling and emphasized the importance of subglacial drainage where bedrock permeability is low.’
- ‘However, the listric thrust geometries together with imbricated bedrock point to a subglacial origin.’
- ‘A notable signature of the ice-sheet readvance during the Killard Point Stadial was the subglacial transfer of large volumes of detritus to tidewater margins.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.