Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A taxonomic category that ranks below genus and above species.
- ‘These ingroup species were chosen to represent each of the proposed subgenera and genera from previous phylogenetic studies.’
- ‘Species and not genera or subgenera are considered the most appropriate units in biodiversity studies.’
- ‘The lowest taxonomic rank is species (genera / subgenera in mollusks) and the highest is family.’
- ‘In the gastropods groups I surveyed, 124 taxa at the subgenus and species-group level occurred in the Gatunian Province during the late Miocene and early Pliocene.’
- ‘Popov's monograph of Cenozoic cardiid shell microstructure includes more than 62 genera and subgenera and 150 species.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.