A taxonomic category that ranks below genus and above species.
- ‘Popov's monograph of Cenozoic cardiid shell microstructure includes more than 62 genera and subgenera and 150 species.’
- ‘The lowest taxonomic rank is species (genera / subgenera in mollusks) and the highest is family.’
- ‘These ingroup species were chosen to represent each of the proposed subgenera and genera from previous phylogenetic studies.’
- ‘In the gastropods groups I surveyed, 124 taxa at the subgenus and species-group level occurred in the Gatunian Province during the late Miocene and early Pliocene.’
- ‘Species and not genera or subgenera are considered the most appropriate units in biodiversity studies.’