Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A subdivision of a domain.‘artificial intelligence is a hazily defined field with two related subdomains’
- ‘In 67 (19%) cases, these estimates were selected from two or more reported results within a single subdomain based on rules delineated in the methods section.’
- ‘It can often be difficult or impossible to determine the amount of computation required by a subdomain of a problem.’
- ‘A strong correlation was found in previous work between the stability of the intact protein and the affinity between its two subdomains.’
- ‘Intimate partner violence is an important subdomain of such behavior.’
- ‘This would produce an amino-terminal truncated protein, lacking an essential subdomain required for protein kinase activity.’
- 1.1Computing An Internet domain which is part of a primary domain.‘within the .us domain, there are subdomains for the fifty states’‘mail.google.com is a subdomain of google.com’
- ‘Subdomains are a vital part of the Internet but require some technical know-how to implement them on your server.’
- ‘Or, if you don't want to pay to register a domain, and you have a friend who's into DNS, you could ask for a subdomain of one of his or her domains.’
- ‘And what of all the hundreds of ISPs that offer as a service the inclusion of a subdomain on your acquired domain?’
- ‘If you operate a web site and wish to link to this site, you may link only to the home page of the site and not to any other page or subdomain of us.’
- ‘The dot-kids-dot-us is sort of a subdomain of dot-us.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.