One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in some Christian churches) a minister of an order ranking below deacon. Now largely obsolete in the Western church, the liturgical role has been taken by other ministers.
- ‘Deacons, subdeacons, and readers assist the priests during services.’
- ‘4 According to the Apostolic Constitutions the woman deacon is ordained ‘according to her worthiness’ into a ministry of the lower clergy (subdeacon, lector, cantor).’
- ‘Widows are to be appointed, not ordained, and hands are not to be laid on subdeacons, virgins, or those who say they have the gift of healing; thus reads Part 1, composed of 15 brief chapters.’
- ‘Above these on the left side stood the parish, the basic building-block of the secular Church, with its priest and attendants, the deacon, subdeacon, acolyte, exorcist, reader, and doorkeeper.’
- ‘Adam A. J. DeVille, a doctoral student at the Metropolitan Andrey Sheptytsky Institute for Eastern Christian Studies at St. Paul University, Ottawa, Canada, is a subdeacon in the Eparchy of Toronto of the Ukrainian Catholic Church.’
- ‘It contains sections describing the bishop, presbyters, deacons, confessors, widows, lectors, virgins, subdeacons, healers, neophyte Christians, and artisans and craftsmen.’
- ‘Currently, at the time of ordination as a deacon, usually a year or so before priesthood; and, before the elimination of the subdiaconate as a major order after Vatican II, as a subdeacon.’
- ‘The rest were secular cathedrals, governed by a chapter consisting of a dean and canons whose duty to maintain the Divine Office in choir was carried out by deputies or vicars, normally in priests ’, deacons ’, or subdeacons ' orders.’
- ‘Fixtures include a triple sedilia (three seats inset in the south wall for priest, deacon and subdeacon), while the central east lancet window contains a complete Jesse Tree (the upper part C13, the lower put together from scraps in 1960).’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.