One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A cultural group within a larger culture, often having beliefs or interests at variance with those of the larger culture.
- ‘What was different about punk was the explosion of subcultures it created.’
- ‘Over the years, Rivers has no doubt aided hundreds of black youth by helping to divert them from the gang subculture.’
- ‘She escaped but joined a punk-rock subculture involved with drugs, and married an addict.’
- ‘Cultures and subcultures constrain us because we internalize their beliefs and values.’
- ‘I would say dealing with people is not within the police subculture culturally glamorous; it is not something that you strive to do.’
- ‘Parents and children within the cultures and subcultures we have studied respond similarly to one another.’
- ‘Use of such sweeping categorization pays little regard to the existence of subcultures within the black community at large.’
- ‘This stable diversity suggests that consistent subcultures flourish within our society.’
- ‘The penchant for sports wear among middle-class youth resided on an almost voyeuristic fascination with American hip-hop subcultures.’
- ‘Though much has been theorized to the contrary, such subcultures are not de facto resistant to a dominant ideology.’
- ‘The large number of cable and satellite channels and their trends are causing a fracturing of pop culture into more subcultures.’
- ‘Each of these communities of interest or subcultures has its own distinct perspective.’
- ‘Make-up can thus serve to indicate membership in social subcultures, such as Goth or rave culture, or to advertise a person's identity as fashionable or hip.’
- ‘The most striking general feature to be found is the extent to which what we would now call science is a subculture within philosophy.’
- ‘The graduation of nicknames within armies is a subculture in itself.’
- ‘The argument was that these subcultures, particularly through their style, challenged the cultural codes and values of the ruling class.’
- ‘A new phenomenon a youth subculture had reared its head, but the Comet seemed satisfied that the borough was not in imminent danger of being overrun.’
- ‘It's interesting how many musical subcultures survive, seemingly despite the efforts of major companies.’
- ‘There were so many other film and cartoon subcultures during my primary school days that I suppose I got swamped.’
- ‘Like tattoos, body piercings and heroin, it seems to be spreading from criminal subcultures to the mainstream.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.