One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A cultural group within a larger culture, often having beliefs or interests at variance with those of the larger culture.
- ‘Use of such sweeping categorization pays little regard to the existence of subcultures within the black community at large.’
- ‘The most striking general feature to be found is the extent to which what we would now call science is a subculture within philosophy.’
- ‘She escaped but joined a punk-rock subculture involved with drugs, and married an addict.’
- ‘Over the years, Rivers has no doubt aided hundreds of black youth by helping to divert them from the gang subculture.’
- ‘There were so many other film and cartoon subcultures during my primary school days that I suppose I got swamped.’
- ‘This stable diversity suggests that consistent subcultures flourish within our society.’
- ‘Make-up can thus serve to indicate membership in social subcultures, such as Goth or rave culture, or to advertise a person's identity as fashionable or hip.’
- ‘Parents and children within the cultures and subcultures we have studied respond similarly to one another.’
- ‘The large number of cable and satellite channels and their trends are causing a fracturing of pop culture into more subcultures.’
- ‘What was different about punk was the explosion of subcultures it created.’
- ‘I would say dealing with people is not within the police subculture culturally glamorous; it is not something that you strive to do.’
- ‘Like tattoos, body piercings and heroin, it seems to be spreading from criminal subcultures to the mainstream.’
- ‘The graduation of nicknames within armies is a subculture in itself.’
- ‘The argument was that these subcultures, particularly through their style, challenged the cultural codes and values of the ruling class.’
- ‘A new phenomenon a youth subculture had reared its head, but the Comet seemed satisfied that the borough was not in imminent danger of being overrun.’
- ‘Though much has been theorized to the contrary, such subcultures are not de facto resistant to a dominant ideology.’
- ‘Cultures and subcultures constrain us because we internalize their beliefs and values.’
- ‘Each of these communities of interest or subcultures has its own distinct perspective.’
- ‘The penchant for sports wear among middle-class youth resided on an almost voyeuristic fascination with American hip-hop subcultures.’
- ‘It's interesting how many musical subcultures survive, seemingly despite the efforts of major companies.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.