Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A motor vehicle that is smaller than a compact.
- ‘Sony and Canon both make excellent subcompacts that actually have amazing amounts of power in a very small size.’
- ‘The first salvo in the car strategy will be the new Versa subcompact, which goes on sale in summer 2006.’
- ‘Nissan will launch the all-new March and Cube subcompacts, derived from the B-platform shared with Renault.’
- ‘Car buyers who in recent years favored mini subcompacts selling for under $10,000 are suddenly putting their money down for luxury sedans.’
- ‘Toyota this year plans to ship abroad as many as 43,000 Soluna Vios sedans, Corolla Artis subcompacts, and Hilux Tiger pickups, up fourfold from 2002.’
- ‘Hyundai, Korea's leading automaker, arrived in the U.S. in 1986 with the Excel subcompact.’
- ‘Output of Anna's first car engines, for the subcompact Civic, began a year later.’
- ‘Fukui's biggest claim to fame was helming the launch of Honda's successful Fit subcompact in Japan.’
- ‘Its best-selling car of the late 1990s, the Fiesta subcompact, was virtually the same car it produced a decade earlier.’
- ‘The first is a steering ratio approximately 30-percent quicker than normal at low to medium road speeds, Suddenly a large, long-wheelbase sedan is able to mimic a subcompact's agile moves.’
- ‘We never had a vehicle so contemporary going after the subcompact segment to attract a younger, more upscale - probably import - buyer.’
- ‘This year, three new car models are to be launched, including a subcompact and a sedan.’
- ‘It was procured by five key Atlantic film producers and Telefilm officials who crammed themselves, their luggage, and a 35 mm print into a perky subcompact for the 20-hour drive.’
- ‘But Scion, which launches in California in June with two new subcompacts directed at the sizable Generation Y, is a long-term investment that Farley is sure will pay off handsomely.’
- ‘Volkswagen plans to introduce its subcompact hatchback Polo, at $15,000 to $17,000, and Toyota Motor Corp. will produce a similarly priced passenger car.’
- ‘The various models Plymouth marketed, including minivans and the Neon subcompact, were sold in virtually identical versions by the stronger Dodge division.’
- ‘The Matiz subcompact was once a popular choice in Western Europe.’
- ‘But the end result is as different from its previous incarnation as a subcompact is from a luxury sedan.’
- ‘And in Japan, stylish numbers such as the March subcompact and the boxy Cube micro-van are driving sales.’
- ‘Demand for the Yaris subcompacts this pristine plant cranks out is outstripping the 920-per-day output.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.