One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A motor vehicle which is smaller than a compact.
- ‘We never had a vehicle so contemporary going after the subcompact segment to attract a younger, more upscale - probably import - buyer.’
- ‘It was procured by five key Atlantic film producers and Telefilm officials who crammed themselves, their luggage, and a 35 mm print into a perky subcompact for the 20-hour drive.’
- ‘But Scion, which launches in California in June with two new subcompacts directed at the sizable Generation Y, is a long-term investment that Farley is sure will pay off handsomely.’
- ‘The various models Plymouth marketed, including minivans and the Neon subcompact, were sold in virtually identical versions by the stronger Dodge division.’
- ‘And in Japan, stylish numbers such as the March subcompact and the boxy Cube micro-van are driving sales.’
- ‘Hyundai, Korea's leading automaker, arrived in the U.S. in 1986 with the Excel subcompact.’
- ‘Output of Anna's first car engines, for the subcompact Civic, began a year later.’
- ‘Toyota this year plans to ship abroad as many as 43,000 Soluna Vios sedans, Corolla Artis subcompacts, and Hilux Tiger pickups, up fourfold from 2002.’
- ‘This year, three new car models are to be launched, including a subcompact and a sedan.’
- ‘But the end result is as different from its previous incarnation as a subcompact is from a luxury sedan.’
- ‘Demand for the Yaris subcompacts this pristine plant cranks out is outstripping the 920-per-day output.’
- ‘Nissan will launch the all-new March and Cube subcompacts, derived from the B-platform shared with Renault.’
- ‘Fukui's biggest claim to fame was helming the launch of Honda's successful Fit subcompact in Japan.’
- ‘Volkswagen plans to introduce its subcompact hatchback Polo, at $15,000 to $17,000, and Toyota Motor Corp. will produce a similarly priced passenger car.’
- ‘The Matiz subcompact was once a popular choice in Western Europe.’
- ‘The first is a steering ratio approximately 30-percent quicker than normal at low to medium road speeds, Suddenly a large, long-wheelbase sedan is able to mimic a subcompact's agile moves.’
- ‘Sony and Canon both make excellent subcompacts that actually have amazing amounts of power in a very small size.’
- ‘Car buyers who in recent years favored mini subcompacts selling for under $10,000 are suddenly putting their money down for luxury sedans.’
- ‘Its best-selling car of the late 1990s, the Fiesta subcompact, was virtually the same car it produced a decade earlier.’
- ‘The first salvo in the car strategy will be the new Versa subcompact, which goes on sale in summer 2006.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.