One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to the region immediately south of the Arctic Circle.
- ‘From 1845 to about 1900, American whalers hunted gray whales on their winter grounds in Baja California, as well as their summer grounds in the subarctic.’
- ‘The climate is extremely diverse, ranging from tropical in the south to subarctic in the north.’
- ‘Biomass was twofold to fourfold and the production was threefold to sevenfold greater in subarctic than in subtropical regions.’
- ‘American Golden-Plovers nest primarily on arctic and subarctic tundra of North America, and winter on South American grasslands.’
- ‘In subarctic latitudes at this time, taiga and mixed-forests advanced rapidly onto open expanses, and a forest fauna developed.’
- ‘Through-hiking would require a superhuman constitution, independent means, and supreme knowledge of Arctic and subarctic environs.’
- ‘Leatherbacks are well-known for two remarkable features: their ability to survive in arctic and subarctic waters and their deep sea diving ability.’
- ‘Despite its name, this poppy's genetic roots are found in subarctic Asia.’
- ‘In the subarctic and Arctic areas of North America, a vast stretch of land, life was exceedingly harsh due to the long winters and brief summers.’
- ‘They nest on Arctic and subarctic Alaskan tundra, and may winter on islands in the Pacific Ocean as far south as Australia.’
- ‘By the Late Cretaceous, species of Hoploparia were distributed throughout temperate and subarctic regions of both hemispheres.’
- ‘Carbon budget estimates derived from accumulation rates of organic soil for a tundra fen and an open subarctic forest are compared with estimates from flux measurements.’
- ‘The local environment is classified as both boreal mixed-wood and boreal subarctic eco-regions.’
- ‘Large artiodactyls such as the caribou inhabit subarctic forests.’
- ‘Goslings from High Arctic breeding sites may face more severe seasonal constraints than those breeding in subarctic or temperate areas.’
- ‘These deep water whales are usually found in the vicinity of seamounts and continental slopes in temperate and subarctic waters.’
- ‘The basin straddles several climatic regions, including the cold temperate, mountain, subarctic, and arctic zones.’
- ‘The area encompasses zones of subarctic mountain birch forest in the lowlands, heather and grassland higher up, and mountainous alpine terrain at the highest altitudes.’
- ‘The principal seasonal flow pattern exhibited by most rivers is the subarctic nival regime, in which snowmelt, often accompanied by river ice breakup, generates high flows.’
- ‘Changes to the fire regime have important implications for many parameters in these subarctic ecosystems, including the composition of the vegetation.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.