One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Of or situated on the higher slopes of mountains just below the timberline.
- ‘The mountain streams are usually at low to subalpine elevations within a closed forest canopy, and have midstream gravel bars or rocks for roosting.’
- ‘Thus, a typical sequence on tropical mountains is from lowland tropical forest, through submontane, montane, and subalpine vegetation zones to the alpine zones of grasses and shrubs.’
- ‘In Washington, they are typically found in lodgepole pine, mountain hemlock, subalpine fir, whitebark pine, and Engleman spruce.’
- ‘At the upper limit of this zone, continuous forest gives way to parkland comprising islands of small, commonly stunted trees and subalpine meadows.’
- ‘True salamanders live in burrows under logs or stones in moist woodlands and subalpine meadows, emerging only on mild, damp nights.’
- ‘From there down to about 8,100 feet is a subalpine forest with subalpine fir, mountain ash, and other species.’
- ‘Plant communities thrive there, from ribbons of riparian plants to sagebrush fiats, lodgepole pine forests, subalpine meadows and alpine stone fields.’
- ‘Like their attempts to afforest treeless subalpine meadows, they planted forage species that had never grown in these mountains.’
- ‘A short walk on the 1 1/2-mile (one way) Hidden Lake Nature Trail will lead you past a subalpine meadow dotted with beargrass, to an overlook, and perhaps to a glimpse of mountain goats.’
- ‘Weather at the study site was typical of that found below snowline in subalpine forests of southeastern Australia, where autumn and winter are characterized by frosty nights followed by cool to mild, sunny days.’
- ‘Subalpine forest has subalpine fir, Engelmann spruce, lodgepole pine, and mountain ash.’
- ‘As temperatures rise (the 1990s were warmer than the 1980s, and the 1980s warmer than the 1970s, says Mote), trees are filling in the park's subalpine meadows.’
- ‘To that end, my colleagues and I began an experimental study of climate-ecosystem feedback 12 years ago in a subalpine meadow at the Rocky Mountain Biological Laboratory.’
- ‘The Wonderland Trail, Mount Rainier National Park, Washington: This 93-mile circumnavigation of the mountain traverses lowland forests and subalpine meadows.’
- ‘Sure, you'll pass through three distinct ecosystems - montane, subalpine, and alpine tundra.’
- ‘Starting and ending in the classic subalpine valley of Mineral King, we'll roam deep canyons, gaze upon lofty peaks, cross high passes, and revel in the grand Big and Little Five Lake basins.’
- ‘Although it has a wide latitudinal range, it is mostly habitat restricted and dominates subalpine communities in which prostrate individuals characterize the upper tree line.’
- ‘As we climb, the maze of trees, ferns, and blueberry bushes gives way to subalpine meadows painted with purple lupine, pale blue gentians, crimson columbine, and yellow arnica.’
- ‘The variety continues to be planted in an ever wider range of locations, but Italy has a long history of Chardonnay cultivation, especially on its subalpine slopes in the north.’
- ‘Forested slopes of lodgepole pine and subalpine fir give way to aspen-clad foothills and rolling sagebrush steppes that have the spongy look of muskeg, but two shades lighter.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.