Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Act as a substitute for someone.‘he subbed for Scott as weatherman’
- ‘It reunited in 1996-with original bass player Glen Matlock subbing for his replacement, the late Sid Vicious - for a five-month world tour.’
- ‘The DRC's Foreign Minister, Antoine Mangalibi, subbed for Kabila.’
- ‘Gary was going to start a nighttime variety show weekly and I subbed one night.’
- ‘Tony Braysford (centre midfield) Didn't get his foot on the ball enough and was subbed at the break.’
- ‘Smith subbed for Chris Brown, who they announced was injured by Mike last week.’
- ‘Wallace subbed for Johnny Benson, Nadeau's teammate, at Daytona last July when Benson was hurt.’
- ‘A year ago, Jamie McMurray subbed for the injured Sterling Marlin in Ganassi's Winston Cup car, and won in only his second start in the premier stock car division.’
- ‘But soon thereafter, McMurray subbed for the injured Sterling Marlin in Ganassi's No.40 Dodge and won at Charlotte.’
- ‘Edwards was recalled but was subbed at half-time after dropping a clanger in the 2-0 defeat by Leyton Orient in October.’
- ‘Without Terry, the starting job falls to Floyd Womack, who has subbed for Terry in four games this season.’
- ‘He never really got into the game and was eventually subbed when Lee Cartwright, a natural in that role took over.’
- ‘McMurray splashed onto the Cup scene in October 2002 when he subbed for an injured Sterling Marlin at Charlotte.’
- ‘As for Brooks, who is very good on the PBS talking head circuit (I subbed for him a few years ago and I was a nervous wreck), more than anything else, I feel sad.’
- ‘Jamie McMurray, who officially will be a rookie in 2003, won in only his second Winston Cup start as he subbed for Marlin, who was injured.’
- ‘Even though I filled in for Gallagher for only one day, while Treason author Ann Coulter subbed for two, I got three times as many emails from listeners about my show as she did about hers - nearly 900.’
- ‘He had been in the hospital and Roger had subbed for him.’
- ‘Rookie Isaiah Smith subbed for George Brown on a few series against the Falcons.’
- ‘I didn't do myself justice against Sarries and was subbed, but unfortunately by the time Tim Walsh came on the game was out of our hands.’
- ‘Says Kenny Wallace, who subbed for Harvick, ‘This is like any other job.’’
- ‘I subbed my way through several counties and taught in many different establishments from the ‘rough’ to the supposed ‘good’ schools.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.