Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[attributive] From or forming part of the African regions south of the Sahara desert.
- ‘This region lies in the heart of sub-Saharan Africa and is ranked by the UN as the third poorest country in the world.’
- ‘Much of this aid goes to sub-Saharan Africa, South America, and Southern Asia.’
- ‘I mean, how bad is it compared with other regions in sub-Saharan Africa that are also in need?’
- ‘An appropriately developed score might be useful in audit, research, and clinical practice in sub-Saharan Africa.’
- ‘That is the case with regard to many states in the Third World, especially sub-Saharan Africa.’
- ‘Three out of four people who die with the disease live in sub-Saharan South Africa.’
- ‘In South Africa, and much of sub-Saharan Africa, mortality is currently spiralling upwards.’
- ‘In that time around 12 million sub-Saharan Africans have succumbed to the disease.’
- ‘It's the introduction of an electronic medical record in one of the poorest regions of sub-Saharan Africa.’
- ‘Whatever the exact numbers, this was a degree of land alienation unrivalled in any sub-Saharan African context.’
- ‘Women are the primary caregivers in most sub-Saharan African households and Wereilu is no exception.’
- ‘Only a handful of sub-Saharan African nations suffer more wretched conditions.’
- ‘The lowest levels of economic growth were in sub-Saharan African countries.’
- ‘Blackcaps spending the summer in northern and eastern Europe are wholly migratory and winter south to sub-Saharan Africa.’
- ‘The Caribbean is the second-most affected region after sub-Saharan Africa in the world.’
- ‘Why didn't sub-Saharan Africans go out and domesticate zebras and rhinoceroses.’
- ‘Entrants should have been born in a sub-Saharan African country and must currently be resident in that country.’
- ‘The idea that sub-Saharan Africa is an amorphous whole - one huge basket case - is a damaging misconception.’
- ‘Built out of coral, the winding streets and courtyarded houses feel more North African than sub-Saharan.’
- ‘No region on the face of earth is more affected by the unfair competition in world cotton markets than sub-Saharan Africa.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.