One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
attributive From or forming part of the African regions south of the Sahara desert.
- ‘Three out of four people who die with the disease live in sub-Saharan South Africa.’
- ‘The Caribbean is the second-most affected region after sub-Saharan Africa in the world.’
- ‘Entrants should have been born in a sub-Saharan African country and must currently be resident in that country.’
- ‘Blackcaps spending the summer in northern and eastern Europe are wholly migratory and winter south to sub-Saharan Africa.’
- ‘Why didn't sub-Saharan Africans go out and domesticate zebras and rhinoceroses.’
- ‘This region lies in the heart of sub-Saharan Africa and is ranked by the UN as the third poorest country in the world.’
- ‘It's the introduction of an electronic medical record in one of the poorest regions of sub-Saharan Africa.’
- ‘I mean, how bad is it compared with other regions in sub-Saharan Africa that are also in need?’
- ‘In that time around 12 million sub-Saharan Africans have succumbed to the disease.’
- ‘The lowest levels of economic growth were in sub-Saharan African countries.’
- ‘The idea that sub-Saharan Africa is an amorphous whole - one huge basket case - is a damaging misconception.’
- ‘Whatever the exact numbers, this was a degree of land alienation unrivalled in any sub-Saharan African context.’
- ‘Women are the primary caregivers in most sub-Saharan African households and Wereilu is no exception.’
- ‘No region on the face of earth is more affected by the unfair competition in world cotton markets than sub-Saharan Africa.’
- ‘Only a handful of sub-Saharan African nations suffer more wretched conditions.’
- ‘Much of this aid goes to sub-Saharan Africa, South America, and Southern Asia.’
- ‘That is the case with regard to many states in the Third World, especially sub-Saharan Africa.’
- ‘Built out of coral, the winding streets and courtyarded houses feel more North African than sub-Saharan.’
- ‘In South Africa, and much of sub-Saharan Africa, mortality is currently spiralling upwards.’
- ‘An appropriately developed score might be useful in audit, research, and clinical practice in sub-Saharan Africa.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.