Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A minor variant of a breed; a secondary breed.
- ‘They are available in a range of colours, from golden to chocolate, cream to black and each colour is recognised as a separate sub-breed.’
- ‘There is an equally facile sub-breed of Malthusians convinced that the World will exhaust its energy reserves in 15-20 years.’
- ‘Chinese hybrid rice production has developed from the utilization of advanced breeds to that of sub-breeds, and from tri-linear cultivation to bilinear cultivation.’
- ‘The improvement is by no means generally due to crossing different breeds; all the best breeders are strongly opposed to this practice, except sometimes amongst closely allied sub-breeds.’
- ‘Facial hair is bright ginger in the Celtic and Viking sub-breeds, black in the Gaelic varieties.’
- ‘The various races or sub-breeds are named after the families who owed the land (Carter, Holt, Barnes, Hickman, Bayliss).’
- ‘From the Middle Ages, to the 19th century, there were two distinct sub-breeds to this breed.’
- ‘Previously a part of Uttar Pradesh, Uttranchal the sub-breed here is known as the BHOTIA.’
- ‘The other three sub-breeds have more tribal organization, and lean towards the more theistic beliefs.’
- ‘Several sub-breeds recognized include Highheads, Tigerheads (head and cheek growth only), and Red Capped Lionheads.’
- ‘Just as in horses, there are many sub-breeds and, also like horses, asses are categorized by size.’
- ‘Historic American turkey sub-breeds include the American Bronze, Narragansett, Bourbon Red, Jersey Buff, Slate, White Holland, Beltsville Small White, and Royal Palm.’
- ‘The term ‘variety’ is used purposefully, since the association considers the turkey to be a breed and the sub-breeds to be varieties.’
- ‘This type is predominant among the Karachai sub-breed.’
- ‘The Kavkazskaya Ovcharka Breed is the Georgian Caucasian Mountain Dog sub-breed that most closely resembles a bear.’
- ‘Its also the most expensive amongst the sub-breeds of Alphonso.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.