One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A kind of expanded polystyrene.
- ‘The piece of styrofoam washing up to shore contrasts starkly with the shellfish pushing through the sand a centimetre beneath the surface.’
- ‘However, plastic and styrofoam must be separated from the rest of the garbage.’
- ‘It's really not recommended to use styrofoam in the microwave.’
- ‘Popsicle sticks are still in vogue, as are styrofoam, garden hose tubing, particle board, wire and glitter glue.’
- ‘It is a padding the color of cardboard and the consistency of styrofoam.’
1950s: from polystyrene + foam.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.