Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A stick of a styptic substance, used to treat small cuts.
- ‘A styptic pencil can be a lifesaver if you have to put on a dress shirt or turtle-neck right after you shave.’
- ‘These styptic pencils have been in use since 1890 and usually consist of 90% aluminum sulfate and 10% of an inert filler.’
- ‘Yes I do use styptic pencils and they do work well so long as the cut/gash isn't too big.’
- ‘The styptic pencil is an astringent and is antiseptic.’
- ‘A styptic pencil (the sort men use when they cut themselves shaving) is useful to stop bleeding.’
- ‘Beautiful crystals of alum, a white astringent mineral used in styptic pencils and pickle-making, can be grown out of the solvent water.’
- ‘Alum and styptic pencils can be purchased over the counter at drug stores in the first aid supply area.’
- ‘This styptic pencil will quickly close off the cut and stop the bleeding.’
- ‘This can spray off an injured area so you can get the styptic pencil to the actual wound and get it to stop bleeding.’
- ‘A styptic pencil is necessary if you are planning on trimming nails the old fashioned way because if you get your nail clippers too close, it can stop the bleeding.’
- ‘You can also use cornstarch or flour if you don't have styptic pencils.’
- ‘Danny had acquired, among other things, a styptic pencil, some penny matches, a coat hanger, some city water, and a toothpick.’
- ‘Generally, healing time for shaving nicks and cuts is significantly reduced when styptic pencils are used.’
- ‘In the unfortunate event of ‘nicking’ yourself while shaving, simply use this brand of styptic pencil with its vessel constricting astringent properties to curb any minor bleeding.’
- ‘There are three ways to control bleeding, styptic pencil or powder for very minor venous bleeding, pressure bandage for more serious venous bleeding and tourniquet for arterial bleeding.’
- ‘He has previously shown signs of misanthropy and misogyny, which is expressed here in Dobel's folksy advice that ‘a styptic pencil carefully dried after every shave will last longer than most relationships’.’
- ‘Use the styptic pencil to stop the bleeding, then use the ointment to prevent infection.’
- ‘I have a first aid kit with a styptic pencil but I couldn't figure out what I was supposed to do with it.’
styptic pencil/ˈstiptik ˈpensəl/
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.