1Relating to the Styx River.
- 1.1literary Very dark.‘the Stygian crypt’
dark, black, pitch-black, pitch-dark, inky, sooty, dusky, dim, murky, shadowy, unlitgloomy, sombre, dismal, dreary, hellish, infernal, hadeancrepuscular, tenebrous, cimmerian, tartarean, caliginousView synonyms
- ‘Shall thou, unburied, view the Stygian waters and the Furies' strong river, and unbidden draw near the bank?’
- ‘Light is drawn down into the bowels of this Stygian labyrinth through a series of vertical shafts that extend upwards to a plateau-like terrace wedged into the hillside at roof level.’
- ‘The star-nosed mole, operating in the Stygian darkness of its burrow, can detect the presence of a tasty tidbit, such as an insect larva or tiny worm.’
- ‘The gleaming steel catches the sunlight, casting a play of sparkling reflections and shadows into the Stygian, subterranean depths.’
- ‘The darkness of their hearts is infinite, Stygian - black as an adder, or Hitler's mustachios.’
- 1.1literary Very dark.