Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A dial tone interrupted by several short gaps, indicating the arrival of new voicemail messages to the user.
- ‘I have no voice mail indicator light on my phone or any stutter tones when voice mail is left for me.’
- ‘However, if you attempt to use a modem and the stutter tone is in effect, you will not be able to dial out.’
- ‘I was able to setup the phonemail but every 2 hours or so I would get the phone 1 flashing, with stutter tones, and no message received.’
- ‘If your fax machine is not connecting to the receiving fax machine try disabling or clearing any stutter tones that may be present on the line.’
- ‘For message notification, our voice messaging provides an effective alternative to stutter tones or message waiting indicator lamps.’
- ‘What was more confusing was that as long as that feature was on the indicator didn't work even though stutter tones were present.’
- ‘When you pick up the receiver, the stutter tone will notify you with three quick beeps if you have a voice mail message.’
- ‘Single line phones may have voice mail lights, or, you may want to use the stutter tone so you know you have a message.’
- ‘While the user is actively in a conversation, he will hear a special stutter tone if there is another incoming call.’
- ‘After a speed call slot has been successfully provisioned, the subscriber will again receive the stutter tone to signify that the speed call slot was successfully provisioned.’
- ‘You must remember to deactivate Call Forwarding by dialing * 73 and waiting for a stutter tone or stuttering dial tone.’
- ‘After a stutter tone or stuttering dial tone, the system will automatically place a courtesy call to the forward-to number.’
- ‘You will hear a few stutter tones followed by a dial tone; once you hear the steady dial tone, dial the number you want your calls forwarded to’
- ‘The User hears a stutter tone when he/she goes off hook and there is a message waiting.’
- ‘If you have voice mail that uses a ‘stutter’ dial tone to indicate messages, you may want to disable the Wait for dial tone before dialing option, since stutter tones are not always detected as a dial tone by modems.’
- ‘If you had unplayed messages at the time of the power outage, you will not hear a stutter tone or see a flashing light.’
- ‘The detect circuit 240 is capable of detecting the stutter tone by sampling the external line 150 at an equal or higher frequency than the stutter dial tone.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.