One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A type of raised embroidery popular between the 15th and 17th centuries and characterized by elaborate designs padded with wool or hair.
- ‘The Basing House stump work shows a grand house and the motto of the Paulet family and dates to about 1660-1665, following the restoration of King Charles II to the throne.’
- ‘A perfect thread for dimensional embroideries, such as crazy quilting embroidery, silk ribbon embroidery, Brazilian embroidery, stump work and knotting for bead work.’
- ‘In stump work, designs (often biblical scenes with figures in 17 th-century dress) were raised into relief against a ground fabric of silk or cotton wool.’
- ‘Fabric painting, beading, embroidery, and stump work are just some of the ingredients that this quilter has applied to fabric in magical works of artistry.’
- ‘Her work reflects more than thirty years in fiber arts including weaving, printing, painting, beading, garment design, embroidery, stump work, sculpture and traditional Hawaiian quilting.’
- ‘Tire Thread is a high quality 8 weight silk thread that's great for appliqué sewing, crazy quilting, embroidery, dimensional embroidery, silk ribbon embroidery, stump work and knotting for bead work.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.