One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A type of raised embroidery popular between the 15th and 17th centuries and characterized by elaborate designs padded with wool or hair.
- ‘The Basing House stump work shows a grand house and the motto of the Paulet family and dates to about 1660-1665, following the restoration of King Charles II to the throne.’
- ‘Fabric painting, beading, embroidery, and stump work are just some of the ingredients that this quilter has applied to fabric in magical works of artistry.’
- ‘A perfect thread for dimensional embroideries, such as crazy quilting embroidery, silk ribbon embroidery, Brazilian embroidery, stump work and knotting for bead work.’
- ‘Tire Thread is a high quality 8 weight silk thread that's great for appliqué sewing, crazy quilting, embroidery, dimensional embroidery, silk ribbon embroidery, stump work and knotting for bead work.’
- ‘Her work reflects more than thirty years in fiber arts including weaving, printing, painting, beading, garment design, embroidery, stump work, sculpture and traditional Hawaiian quilting.’
- ‘In stump work, designs (often biblical scenes with figures in 17 th-century dress) were raised into relief against a ground fabric of silk or cotton wool.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.