Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A book containing the pedigrees of horses.
- ‘By 1872 breeders were able to produce litters sufficiently to type to enable them to be registered in the German Kennel Club stud book.’
- ‘We will be keeping in contact with the body that runs the stud book for the conservation breeding programme.’
- ‘The first poodle was registered in the American Kennel Club stud book in 1887.’
- ‘These animals were determined from the stud book records.’
- ‘Bob, or to give him his stud book name of Dartdale Bobbie, is no ordinary pony.’
- ‘In fact, the first American Pom was entered into the American Kennel Club's stud book in 1888.’
- ‘Aid is available for stud book development, bloodtyping / DNA testing and the genetic indexing project.’
- ‘The keeper of the Russian stud book was on holidays so it wasn't until this week that action could be taken.’
- ‘Legislation would be required to restrict entry to the stud book and this will not be forthcoming.’
- ‘Actually, list members have been using both modern technology and the original APHA stud books to make their case.’
- ‘‘Broad Brush has been an excellent stallion who has left an indelible mark on the stud book,’ said Gainesway President Antony Beck.’
- ‘The ICC is responsible for keeping the greyhound stud book and records of greyhounds bred in Ireland each year.’
- ‘The list of famous names in Tufnall's stud book is truly scandalous.’
- ‘The first Racing Calendar was introduced in 1773 and stud books and jockeys' colours followed.’
- ‘He is from one of the most active families in the stud book.’
- ‘For a fee, it records the offspring of all AKC-registered parents in its stud book and provides them with official certificates of pedigree.’
stud book/ˈstəd ˌbo͝ok/
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.