Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A female prostitute or a promiscuous woman.
whore, sex worker, call girl, white slaveView synonyms
- ‘She meant something more to him than any of the strumpets he'd dallied with before.’
- ‘She eyed the two strumpets who were watching her.’
- ‘He was sighted on Monday night in Po Na Na's with with an arm around number of young strumpets.’
- ‘She acts annoyed by this strumpet disrupting her peace, but really she's annoyed by the flaunting of youth and indiscretion.’
- ‘It's strumpets like you who are setting back the women's rights movement.’
Middle English: of unknown origin.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.