One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A female prostitute.
whore, sex worker, call girl, white slaveView synonyms
- ‘He was sighted on Monday night in Po Na Na's with with an arm around number of young strumpets.’
- ‘She acts annoyed by this strumpet disrupting her peace, but really she's annoyed by the flaunting of youth and indiscretion.’
- ‘It's strumpets like you who are setting back the women's rights movement.’
- ‘She eyed the two strumpets who were watching her.’
- ‘She meant something more to him than any of the strumpets he'd dallied with before.’
- 1.1 A woman who has many casual sexual encounters or relationships.
Middle English: of unknown origin.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.