One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A swelling of the thyroid gland; a goiter.
- ‘Aspiration biopsy cytology was performed for both strumae.’
- ‘The most common forms of this variant are struma ovarii and carcinoid in the ovary.’
- ‘A 62-year-old white woman underwent right ovary resection that had a pathologic diagnosis of struma ovarii.’
- ‘The case of a 38-year-old woman with malignant struma ovarii is described.’
- ‘Damage to the superior laryngeal nerve is reported for up to 25% of all patients, even if the strumae are uncomplicated.’
Mid 16th century (in the Latin sense): modern Latin, from Latin, ‘scrofulous tumor’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.