Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Strong mild steel in shapes suited to construction work.
- ‘Rinker Hall's structural steel, metal wall panels, drywall, and ceiling systems will all be recyclable at the end of the building's lifetime.’
- ‘The table is constructed of two structural steel beams that rest on the jack mounts on either side of the table, connected by steel trusses.’
- ‘Concrete offers shorter lead times for start-up of construction than does structural steel, which has long waits for special ordered shapes.’
- ‘However, structural steel shapes will have a weaker price recovery than other steel products, says Anton.’
- ‘The high-carbon spring steel has a higher yield strength and tensile strength than the medium-carbon structural steel.’
- ‘Since original construction occurred in the early 20th century, all structural steel connections were riveted.’
- ‘With structural steel construction, the addition of reinforced concrete cores and shear walls greatly dampens the amount of sway.’
- ‘Further speculation has concerned the adequacy of the fire suppression system, the fireproofing of structural steel, and the exiting stairwells.’
- ‘Electrical interference and structural steel found in urban environments may effect the use of the aiming circle and communications.’
- ‘The building had been designed for structural steel, but steel was unavailable.’
- ‘It is light in mass, yet some of its alloys have strengths greater than that of structural steel.’
- ‘In my opinion support steel for process plant is quite different from structural steel.’
- ‘During the day, the exposed structural steel and specially perforated stainless steel fins act as reflective sun louvers.’
- ‘High-rise office buildings in New York City historically have been constructed of structural steel.’
- ‘The structural steel contains 77 percent post-consumer and 18 percent post-industrial recycled content.’
- ‘Reinforcing bar prices made the first move last spring while structural steel prices began moving up in the fourth quarter of 2003.’
- ‘Because the job was fast-tracked, the library applied for a concrete permit before structural steel design was complete.’
- ‘His expertise lies in structural analysis and design, structural steel design, and numerical analysis of non-linear and inelastic systems.’
- ‘Unlike Gehry's Experience Music Project in Seattle, this building's metal skin sits directly on structural steel members.’
- ‘They also produce HSLA steels and structural steel grades for those applications that require specified strength levels.’
structural steel/ˈstrək(t)SH(ə)rəl stēl/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.