Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A formula that shows the arrangement of atoms in the molecule of a compound.
- ‘Butene and ethene have the same empirical formula CH 2 but different molecular and structural formulas.’
- ‘To provide the full molecular formula, the structural formula must also be considered.’
- ‘Two years later he ascertained its structural formula.’
- ‘Like the molecular formula, the structural formula of a substance gives the exact number of atoms of each element per molecule.’
- ‘At its most basic the structural formula is the chemical formula showing the bonds that are present.’
structural formula/ˈstrək(t)SH(ə)rəl ˈfôrmyələ/
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.