Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A formula that shows the arrangement of atoms in the molecule of a compound.
- ‘Like the molecular formula, the structural formula of a substance gives the exact number of atoms of each element per molecule.’
- ‘To provide the full molecular formula, the structural formula must also be considered.’
- ‘At its most basic the structural formula is the chemical formula showing the bonds that are present.’
- ‘Butene and ethene have the same empirical formula CH 2 but different molecular and structural formulas.’
- ‘Two years later he ascertained its structural formula.’
structural formula/ˈstrək(t)SH(ə)rəl ˈfôrmyələ/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.