One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A formula which shows the arrangement of atoms in the molecule of a compound.
- ‘At its most basic the structural formula is the chemical formula showing the bonds that are present.’
- ‘Butene and ethene have the same empirical formula CH 2 but different molecular and structural formulas.’
- ‘Like the molecular formula, the structural formula of a substance gives the exact number of atoms of each element per molecule.’
- ‘To provide the full molecular formula, the structural formula must also be considered.’
- ‘Two years later he ascertained its structural formula.’
structural formula/ˈstrək(t)SH(ə)rəl ˈfôrmyələ/
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.