Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A nematode of a group that includes several common disease-causing parasites of mammals and birds.Related red worm
- ‘The results were remarkably similar to the equine findings, vascular strongyle type parasitic infection.’
- ‘Prevalence and intensity analyses included only strongyle and coccidian parasites.’
- ‘Veterinarians diagnose strongyle infection from microscopic observation of eggs in the feces.’
- ‘Fortunately, large strongyles can be effectively controlled with ivermectin and related dewormers.’
- ‘The most serious internal parasites are large and small strongyles, ascarids, bots, and pinworms.’
Mid 19th century: from modern Latin Strongylus, from Greek strongulos round.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.