A nematode of a group that includes several common disease-causing parasites of mammals and birds.See also red worm
- ‘Veterinarians diagnose strongyle infection from microscopic observation of eggs in the feces.’
- ‘Prevalence and intensity analyses included only strongyle and coccidian parasites.’
- ‘Fortunately, large strongyles can be effectively controlled with ivermectin and related dewormers.’
- ‘The results were remarkably similar to the equine findings, vascular strongyle type parasitic infection.’
- ‘The most serious internal parasites are large and small strongyles, ascarids, bots, and pinworms.’
Mid 19th century: from modern Latin Strongylus, from Greek strongulos ‘round’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.