One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A specially fortified defensive position.
strength, strong suit, long suit, forte, aptitude, bent, speciality, specialty, métier, claim to fame, skillView synonyms
- ‘From these strongpoints, in the 19th and early 20th centuries the British established protectorates over the Malay sultanates on the peninsula.’
- ‘Vang Pao again captured the PDJ in July and established a network of artillery strongpoints, manned by Thai gunners.’
- ‘The push inland was also aided by a renewed short-range bombardment by Allied destroyers against enemy strongpoints.’
- ‘Assault teams were created to deal with German machine guns, while the main offensive bypassed these strongpoints.’
- ‘I traveled a few times to see their camps and strongpoints on the road leading into Thakhek from the east.’
- ‘He stares at a strategic map of the strongpoints of the city, placing squadrons which are inadequately manned, to assault the Red Army.’
- ‘The twilight wars on the periphery were sideshows from defending the main strongpoints that locked up the keys to world power.’
- ‘The chateau on the northern outskirts is a strongpoint of bunkers connected by tunnels, surrounded by dense minefields and barbed wire.’
- ‘France and Britain are not the only places where the cultural Left has occupied the strongpoints and besieges the inner fortifications.’
- ‘The platoon attacked this strongpoint, though heavily outnumbered, and Connor himself killed two German snipers.’
- ‘In one instance, Fall documents the capture of the overrun Algerian troops on French strongpoint Gabrielle early in the battle.’
- ‘Heym's strongpoint is his ability to describe the habits, ways of thinking and behaviour of the various sections of the GDR elite.’
- ‘Soon bands of hungry insurgents were ransacking strongpoints in the city for arms, powder, and hoards of flour.’
- ‘A combination of convoy escort, active patrolling, and strongpoint operations has been the most successful techniques used so far.’
- ‘Yet they spearheaded any attack, searching out enemy strongpoints and gathering intelligence for the Allies.’
- ‘Defense requires the control of dominating heights, passes, and lines of communication by strongpoints.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.