Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Not easily influenced by others; resolute and determined.
determined, firm, resolute, resolved, purposeful, purposive, sure, self-disciplined, strong-willed, uncompromising, unyielding, unbending, unwavering, unswerving, unfaltering, unshakeable, inexorable, forceful, persistent, persevering, tenacious, dogged, stubborndedicated, committed, stalwartrock-ribbedgutsy, spunkyperseverant, indurateView synonyms
- ‘The director of the local paper factory, an independent and strong-minded man, stood with the presidium.’
- ‘Yvette is a complete basket case and Caz is her own woman: strong-minded and strong-willed.’
- ‘The influence of his strong-minded mother, who died when he was only 9, always remained with him.’
- ‘He's very strong-minded and has a style of man-management that very much reminds me of someone else.’
- ‘She'd been a stubborn, strong-minded woman before she got sick, and the condition seemed to have brought out those traits even more.’
- ‘A strong-minded feline with some anti-social tendencies, Sweetie was still one of the most beautiful cats I've ever seen.’
- ‘I mean, I am definitely strong-minded, and I think that came through.’
- ‘But it's mostly very strong-minded men who actually voice their appreciation.’
- ‘Maybe it's just really scary for a guy to go into a team of strong-minded women.’
- ‘You're no stranger to differences in an administration between strong-minded individuals, General Scowcroft.’
- ‘Jane is a very strong-minded and uncompromising artist who has a profound interest in investigation.’
- ‘Some of my friends readily appreciate that many men do not like strong-minded, independent women.’
- ‘The first-years don't just come to listen - they make our strong-minded dyke co-chairs look meek.’
- ‘She was a strong-minded, capable woman, who had run a business that maintained high-end apartments.’
- ‘On the contrary, Berlinger is spiky and strong-minded, the archetypal independent filmmaker.’
- ‘Alan is a strong-minded client with definite ideas of what he wanted and we had to make it work for him.’
- ‘In an earlier statement, Mr and Mrs Chaney described Ashley as a ‘happy, strong-minded and well-loved two-year-old’.’
- ‘Woman is neither high-minded nor low-minded, strong-minded nor weak-minded.’
- ‘I'm looking forward to working with some pretty strong-minded guys.’
- ‘While the strong-minded will cope with the boredom better, others may need more support.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.