Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The supportive tissue of an epithelial organ, tumor, gonad, etc., consisting of connective tissues and blood vessels.
- ‘The deeper regions of the tumor showed hypocellularity and had an abundance of loose edematous stroma.’
- ‘Tumor cells were embedded in a loose collagenous stroma.’
- ‘The bland fibrous stroma is infiltrated by mature lymphocytes and plasma cells.’
- ‘The stroma consists of fatty tissue and ligaments surrounding the ducts and lobules, blood vessels and lymphatic vessels.’
- ‘Loose connective tissue stroma predominated in the less cellular areas.’
- 1.1The spongy framework of protein fibers in a red blood cell or platelet.
- ‘The surrounding stroma was infiltrated by plasma cells and scattered aggregates of lymphocytes, forming follicles with germinal centres.’
- ‘The endometrial stroma has a framework consisting of reticular fibers and stromal cells.’
- ‘Typical plaques showed proliferation of myofibroblastic cells with myxoid stroma.’
- ‘The results indicate that the stroma contains some rather fragile enzymes.’
- ‘There is no cellular or architectural atypia of the lobules or stroma.’
The matrix of a chloroplast, in which the grana are embedded.
- ‘Chloroplast envelopes, stacked grana and unstacked stroma thylakoids were well-defined.’
- ‘Thylakoids of grana stacks are mostly abundant in PSII complexes, while PSI complexes are predominant in stroma lamellae.’
- ‘Granules of different sizes were noted in the chloroplast stroma in all treatments.’
- ‘There is characteristically a dense sparsely cellular fibrous stroma.’
- ‘The relative amount of stroma thylakoids is also increased, while the portion of grana thylakoids is lowered.’
A cushionlike mass of fungal tissue, having spore-bearing structures either embedded in it or on its surface.
- ‘This latter consisted of a few membranes irregularly distributed in the stroma or tightly pressed to form very electron-dense stacks.’
- ‘During in vivo measurements, excitation light is incident upon the epithelium, and must travel through this tissue layer before reaching the stroma.’
- ‘Very few dots are localized in the stroma of the amyloplasts.’
- ‘Transport proteins in the inner plastid envelope membrane connect the metabolism of plastid stroma and surrounding cytoplasm.’
- ‘A few times, dots are observed in the stroma of the amyloplasts.’
Mid 19th century: modern Latin, via late Latin from Greek strōma coverlet.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.