One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The supportive tissue of an epithelial organ, tumor, gonad, etc., consisting of connective tissues and blood vessels.
- ‘Loose connective tissue stroma predominated in the less cellular areas.’
- ‘The deeper regions of the tumor showed hypocellularity and had an abundance of loose edematous stroma.’
- ‘The stroma consists of fatty tissue and ligaments surrounding the ducts and lobules, blood vessels and lymphatic vessels.’
- ‘The bland fibrous stroma is infiltrated by mature lymphocytes and plasma cells.’
- ‘Tumor cells were embedded in a loose collagenous stroma.’
- 1.1 The spongy framework of protein fibers in a red blood cell or platelet.
- ‘The results indicate that the stroma contains some rather fragile enzymes.’
- ‘Typical plaques showed proliferation of myofibroblastic cells with myxoid stroma.’
- ‘The endometrial stroma has a framework consisting of reticular fibers and stromal cells.’
- ‘There is no cellular or architectural atypia of the lobules or stroma.’
- ‘The surrounding stroma was infiltrated by plasma cells and scattered aggregates of lymphocytes, forming follicles with germinal centres.’
- 1.2Botany The matrix of a chloroplast, in which the grana are embedded.
- ‘Thylakoids of grana stacks are mostly abundant in PSII complexes, while PSI complexes are predominant in stroma lamellae.’
- ‘Granules of different sizes were noted in the chloroplast stroma in all treatments.’
- ‘The relative amount of stroma thylakoids is also increased, while the portion of grana thylakoids is lowered.’
- ‘There is characteristically a dense sparsely cellular fibrous stroma.’
- ‘Chloroplast envelopes, stacked grana and unstacked stroma thylakoids were well-defined.’
A cushionlike mass of fungal tissue, having spore-bearing structures either embedded in it or on its surface.
- ‘A few times, dots are observed in the stroma of the amyloplasts.’
- ‘Very few dots are localized in the stroma of the amyloplasts.’
- ‘During in vivo measurements, excitation light is incident upon the epithelium, and must travel through this tissue layer before reaching the stroma.’
- ‘Transport proteins in the inner plastid envelope membrane connect the metabolism of plastid stroma and surrounding cytoplasm.’
- ‘This latter consisted of a few membranes irregularly distributed in the stroma or tightly pressed to form very electron-dense stacks.’
Mid 19th century: modern Latin, via late Latin from Greek strōma ‘coverlet’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.