Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The supportive tissue of an epithelial organ, tumor, gonad, etc., consisting of connective tissues and blood vessels.
- ‘The bland fibrous stroma is infiltrated by mature lymphocytes and plasma cells.’
- ‘The deeper regions of the tumor showed hypocellularity and had an abundance of loose edematous stroma.’
- ‘Tumor cells were embedded in a loose collagenous stroma.’
- ‘The stroma consists of fatty tissue and ligaments surrounding the ducts and lobules, blood vessels and lymphatic vessels.’
- ‘Loose connective tissue stroma predominated in the less cellular areas.’
- 1.1 The spongy framework of protein fibers in a red blood cell or platelet.
- ‘The endometrial stroma has a framework consisting of reticular fibers and stromal cells.’
- ‘The results indicate that the stroma contains some rather fragile enzymes.’
- ‘The surrounding stroma was infiltrated by plasma cells and scattered aggregates of lymphocytes, forming follicles with germinal centres.’
- ‘Typical plaques showed proliferation of myofibroblastic cells with myxoid stroma.’
- ‘There is no cellular or architectural atypia of the lobules or stroma.’
- 1.2Botany The matrix of a chloroplast, in which the grana are embedded.
- ‘Granules of different sizes were noted in the chloroplast stroma in all treatments.’
- ‘There is characteristically a dense sparsely cellular fibrous stroma.’
- ‘Thylakoids of grana stacks are mostly abundant in PSII complexes, while PSI complexes are predominant in stroma lamellae.’
- ‘The relative amount of stroma thylakoids is also increased, while the portion of grana thylakoids is lowered.’
- ‘Chloroplast envelopes, stacked grana and unstacked stroma thylakoids were well-defined.’
A cushionlike mass of fungal tissue, having spore-bearing structures either embedded in it or on its surface.
- ‘Very few dots are localized in the stroma of the amyloplasts.’
- ‘This latter consisted of a few membranes irregularly distributed in the stroma or tightly pressed to form very electron-dense stacks.’
- ‘Transport proteins in the inner plastid envelope membrane connect the metabolism of plastid stroma and surrounding cytoplasm.’
- ‘During in vivo measurements, excitation light is incident upon the epithelium, and must travel through this tissue layer before reaching the stroma.’
- ‘A few times, dots are observed in the stroma of the amyloplasts.’
Mid 19th century: modern Latin, via late Latin from Greek strōma coverlet.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.