One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large bass of North American coastal waters, with dark horizontal stripes along the upper sides, migrating up streams to breed.
- ‘Many species eat the fry and smolts, including striped bass, American shad, sculpins and sea gulls.’
- ‘HLPs were also found in rainbow trout and striped bass.’
- ‘Fishing enthusiasts also should explore the Potomac River, home to large mouth and striped bass (‘rockfish’ to the locals).’
- ‘For example, salmon, striped bass and Atlantic sturgeon spawn in freshwater and mature in saltwater.’
- ‘Season and sear the striped bass on both sides until desired doneness.’
- ‘Moreover, the skinny southerners were more likely to survive staged encounters with natural predators, such as bluefish and striped bass.’
- ‘Not to worry, says Chef Casella, there are plenty of delicious alternatives including striped bass, halibut, and orata.’
- ‘Marine species such as striped bass, shad and alewife utilize estuarine wetlands for spawning and then return to the ocean.’
- ‘You'll also find DHA in salmon, halibut, mackerel, sardines and striped bass as well as flaxseed oil and fish oil supplements.’
- ‘‘This salty estuary is home to mussels, oysters, amphibians, turtles, striped bass and brook trout,’ Dyer explains in a hushed tone.’
- ‘The different distributions of young-of-the-year white perch and striped bass presumably reflect their different origins.’
- ‘Oysters, sturgeon, striped bass and crabs were harvested by the Canarsee Indians, and the surrounding land yielded deer and fowl.’
- ‘The two anadromous species from Atlantic waters, striped bass and shad, have been welcome additions, not destroyers of native species.’
- ‘For the striped bass, place the bass fillets on a sheet pan and brush with the egg whites.’
- ‘Other well-managed and abundant wild species include striped bass, Pacific halibut, squid, and crabs (except Alaskan kings).’
- ‘Most hybrid striped bass that consumers purchase are a cross between female white bass and male striped bass.’
- ‘Cast a line for blue marlin, brook trout, smallmouth bass, or striped bass (‘rockfish’ to the locals).’
- ‘While deciding, we stared into the eyes of a striped bass, sea bass, porgy and red snapper.’
- ‘The result has been a resurgence of rockfish, striped bass and shad.’
- ‘A cross between male striped bass and female white bass, sunshine bass grow faster than either parent.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.