One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An orchestra consisting only of bowed string instruments of the violin family.
- ‘Toward the end of his life, he arranged the Lachrymae for soloist and string orchestra as a favor to Cecil Aronowitz.’
- ‘The Triple Quartet exists in three versions: string quartet and tape (of the other two quartets), three string quartets, and string orchestra.’
- ‘Part of its effect comes from Gubaidulina's unusual tuning of the string orchestra: half the players tune a quarter-tone lower.’
- ‘They blended well together and were sympathetically supported by the accompanying string orchestra, also standing to play.’
- ‘The work is scored for strings (both a string orchestra and a quartet, spatially separated), vibraphones, celesta, bells, and harp.’
- ‘The string orchestra tends to smooth everything over.’
- ‘We each took one more step, then stopped, as the string orchestra, tucked away in the corner nearest the dance floor, struck up the national anthem.’
- ‘The concert will feature soloists and a string orchestra performing a wide variety of songs from Leonard Bernstein to Handel.’
- ‘Its unusual scoring features a piano and string quartet against a string orchestra.’
- ‘Here, they are played by a full string orchestra - a change that Phoenix doesn't say anything about.’
- ‘Of the group, half had music training both from individual lessons and participation in their schools' string orchestras.’
- ‘She was not afraid to blend together banjos with string orchestras.’
- ‘The songs will be played by a string orchestra with choral singing and I hope the result will be deeply moving.’
- ‘The ensemble is similar also, mainly a string orchestra with which the soloists contrast clearly.’
- ‘By using two choruses of winds that interact with a string orchestra, Handel achieves a spatial sound elucidating its own successful development.’
- ‘Steger gives us five varied concerti on four instruments, and the string orchestra have two to themselves.’
- ‘In some cases, the composer himself arranged the music for string orchestra.’
- ‘Legrand's score ranges from a sort of light cocktail-jazz perkiness to a lush 50s-style string orchestra ballad sound.’
- ‘Originally written for organ in 1945, McKay transcribed it for two string orchestras in 1962.’
- ‘Their father was the lead cellist in the SA Symphony Orchestra and conducted his own string orchestra.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.