One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Any of various beans eaten in their fibrous pods, such as scarlet runners.
- ‘Today that selection was a smoked salmon tower with potato pancakes and poached eggs and string beans.’
- ‘The lamb was quite good as well and it was served with steamed cauliflower, string beans and carrots.’
- ‘Yes, honeybunch, I threw string beans at you out of my undying love.’
- ‘There are string beans (snap beans), green beans, purple beans and yellow beans.’
- ‘In a large bowl, mix them together with fresh string beans.’
- ‘It will be baked along with some veggies… carrot, cho cho, broccoli and string beans.’
- ‘Bass are a magnificent athletic species and should not end up served with string beans and half a lime.’
- ‘Then, he looked up and saw Mel's blank face as she toyed the string beans on the plate using her fork instead of eating them.’
- ‘The three girls made turkey, cranberries, mashed potatoes, pies, corn, string beans, and much more.’
- ‘Take more walks, sing more lullabies, spend less time trying to get her to eat string beans and more time pushing the stroller along the boardwalk.’
- ‘The selection tonight was either breaded chicken with rice, string beans, and a roll, or a big bowl of beef stew and a roll.’
- ‘One was tall and thin like a string bean and the other was short and round like a tomato.’
- ‘Some string beans are so delicious, you may want to keep a supply at hand by putting some in your garden.’
- ‘I started rinsing my mouth with the juice from canned string beans.’
- ‘When it states that a Liégeoise salad is bacon, string beans, onions, and red bliss potatoes, that's it.’
- ‘He returns carrying a faded sport coat that's a shade of light green resembling stale string beans.’
- ‘As for Quaz, he had liver, string beans, and blood pudding.’
- ‘Mix the papaya, tomato string beans and the other ingredients.’
- ‘They walked toward the field and just beyond the fence was a Crop Circle in the string beans.’
- ‘Zinc is also abundant in spinach, parsley, collard greens, Brussels sprouts, cucumbers, string beans and prunes.’
2informal A tall, thin person.
- ‘In 1956, a 16-year-old string bean of 89 pounds, she ran in the Melbourne Olympics.’
- ‘I had a string bean body that hardly looked toned.’
- ‘The director would undoubtedly label this spineless string bean a quintessential American.’
- ‘During one stretch in September, Pina belied his frail, string bean appearance by working in eight of Oakland's 10 games.’
- ‘I am not jealous of that geeky little string bean.’
- ‘She had a figure with curves that befitted a woman, not the string beans typical of Hollywood and the modeling world.’
- ‘Alexis Rios, a string bean if there ever was one, struck out swinging against Jarrod Washburn to end the inning.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.