One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
treated as singular or plural A military force equipped and organized for sudden attack.
- ‘The sweeping panoramic shots of the US helicopter strike force approaching down town Mogadishu is impressive.’
- ‘It looks like a strike force that was going to test our defenses at Stronghold, maybe hoping to take it back.’
- ‘In 1998, London supported proposals for the construction of an independent European military strike force.’
- ‘My biggest concern is to shape up our defence to clear balls as they come in and to attack the strike force of our opponents.’
- ‘Our strike force, Beta, is one of those designated to tie up the hellguards within the city.’
- ‘The strike force of the Korean People's Army will take on the enemy wherever he is.’
- ‘Their main goal would be to make a way for a small strike force to get past the enemy.’
- ‘More than enough cover is around to conceal a considerable strike force, enough for a sneak attack.’
- ‘But Turkey would make a separate EU strike force much more feasible by providing cheap, brave cannon fodder.’
- ‘Financial assistance is needed for deployment of a strike force in all reserves.’
- ‘‘If it leads to Europe - Berlin rather - then sending a small strike force through would be useless,’ General Prater commented.’
- ‘Members of the strike force who stayed behind found ammunition, maps and a terrain model in the basement of the hospital.’
- ‘The lack of a strike force meant that Spain offered little in attack and the Irish pursuit of the winner continued relentlessly.’
- ‘General Crespo quickly began organizing and preparing his strike force.’
- ‘On 12 November 1970, strike force personnel began to deploy to Thailand.’
- ‘After final approval, the strike force launched from Thailand and expertly rejoined 15 aircraft in total darkness under radio silence.’
- ‘The Rangers illustrated their lethality as an exceptionally competent Army strike force.’
- ‘Because the information would be processed automatically, the battle staff would have immediate and continuous updates on its strike force.’
- ‘The troops for the bunker's strike force was taken from the Washington and the Galleon.’
- ‘The total German strike force included 38 divisions with perhaps 250,000 troops, supported by nearly 1,000 aircraft.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.