One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Retaliate.‘he struck back at critics who claim he is too negative’
fight back, retaliate, hit back, respond, react, reply, reciprocate, counterattack, return fire, return the compliment, put up a fight, take the bait, rise to the bait, return like for like, get back at someone, get, give tit for tat, give as good as one gets, let someone see how it feels, give someone a dose of their own medicine, give someone a taste of their own medicineView synonyms
- ‘Short of a libel claim, the artist has little remedy - except that he or she can try to strike back with a reply to a review or by blasting the reviewer in the press.’
- ‘If and when one does choose to strike back, there is always the chance of a violent response from the victims.’
- ‘I have tried hard to restrain the simple response to pain - to strike back at that which hurts you - but that restraint is becoming more and more worn.’
- ‘Giles flinched, but fought the urge to strike back, concentrating instead on the blindfold.’
- ‘They struck back at New York's finest, and the movement to attain full civil rights was born.’
- ‘Now his enemies have struck back at him in a lawless and cowardly fashion.’
- ‘Should you strike back against hackers if the police can't do anything?’
- ‘German propaganda emphasized grim perseverance, promising that wonder weapons would soon allow Germany to strike back at the Allies and exact a bloody revenge.’
- ‘Birr were not willing to give up without a fight and struck back with a second try, which left their days efforts to ten points.’
- ‘A child whose behavior is punished may react emotionally, strike back or avoid the person delivering the punishment.’
2(of a gas burner) burn from an internal point before the gas has become mixed with air.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.