Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A fault in which rock strata are displaced mainly in a horizontal direction, parallel to the line of the fault.
- ‘The Mae Ping and Three Pagodas fault zones are far from being isolated, parallel strike-slip faults.’
- ‘Towards the end of the orogeny, several north-south-trending strike-slip faults were active.’
- ‘These faults are dominantly dextral strike-slip faults with NE-SW trends.’
- ‘The East Asian region is characterized by widespread Cenozoic normal and strike-slip faults.’
- ‘The hinterland of the Middle Urals is strongly influenced by north-south-trending strike-slip faults.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.