One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A sensory receptor that responds to the stretching of surrounding muscle tissue and so contributes to the coordination of muscle activity.
- ‘There are several mechanisms involved in regulating the secretion of vasopressin, including hypothalamic osmoreceptors, left atrial stretch receptors, and arterial baroreceptors.’
- ‘A specific stretch receptor protein in plants has yet to be identified.’
- ‘In the lobster stretch receptor, for example, extra spikes are generated even when soma invasion fails.’
- ‘The crayfish stretch receptor neuron is such an object.’
- ‘Simultaneously, the enhanced chemoreceptor response elicits an inhibitory response from the baroreceptors and pulmonary stretch receptors.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.