Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Streaks or stripes on the skin, especially on the abdomen, caused by distension of the skin from obesity or during pregnancy.
- ‘Typically, women complain of stretch marks mostly on the abdomen, breasts and buttocks.’
- ‘She felt enormous in the ugly way girls do when they notice a new stretch mark.’
- ‘Where the fibres break, the skin becomes thinner, and these areas show as stretch marks.’
- ‘A stretch mark results when the skin tears after being expanded beyond its limits.’
- ‘Obsessed with the extra weight and stretch marks now marring her abdomen and hips, she became even more depressed.’
- ‘If the stretch mark extends well above that level, some of them may be left behind, even in a belt lipectomy.’
- ‘I was as round as ever and there was a big stretch mark across my belly.’
- ‘It shows every bulge, every stretch mark, and every flaw.’
- ‘There is no way to prevent stretch marks during pregnancy.’
- ‘Between 75 and 90% of women develop stretch marks during pregnancy.’
- ‘As your breasts grow and the skin stretches, you may feel itchiness or develop stretch marks.’
- ‘There is a different kind of scar on my stomach - a single stretch mark from bearing my son.’
- ‘But those diseases don't leave stretch marks like those of pregnancy.’
- ‘Liposuction is not a treatment for weight control or obesity and it cannot remove cellulite or stretch marks.’
- ‘The frankness of Poynton's gaze reveals each of the three as naked and exposed, their skin rendered unnervingly, with attention given to every hair, vein and stretch mark.’
- ‘Pink or purple stretch marks may form on your skin.’
- ‘Now, I'm the epitome of slim, so imagine my surprise when I discovered that I was afflicted with a stretch mark on my tummy!’
- ‘Dry skin and stretch marks can, for example, be treated by direct skin-application of cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil.’
- ‘To reduce the depth of stretch mark scars, doctors can employ surgical procedures that scrape or peel off layers of skin.’
- ‘Essentials such as pregnancy testing kits, a cot, pushchair, car seat and even stretch mark cream are then added to the cost.’
stretch marks/ˈstreCH ˌmärks/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.