One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Irregular lines or streaks on the skin where it has been stretched or distended, especially due to pregnancy or obesity.
- ‘She felt enormous in the ugly way girls do when they notice a new stretch mark.’
- ‘Typically, women complain of stretch marks mostly on the abdomen, breasts and buttocks.’
- ‘Essentials such as pregnancy testing kits, a cot, pushchair, car seat and even stretch mark cream are then added to the cost.’
- ‘A stretch mark results when the skin tears after being expanded beyond its limits.’
- ‘It shows every bulge, every stretch mark, and every flaw.’
- ‘Pink or purple stretch marks may form on your skin.’
- ‘Between 75 and 90% of women develop stretch marks during pregnancy.’
- ‘Now, I'm the epitome of slim, so imagine my surprise when I discovered that I was afflicted with a stretch mark on my tummy!’
- ‘Obsessed with the extra weight and stretch marks now marring her abdomen and hips, she became even more depressed.’
- ‘There is a different kind of scar on my stomach - a single stretch mark from bearing my son.’
- ‘If the stretch mark extends well above that level, some of them may be left behind, even in a belt lipectomy.’
- ‘There is no way to prevent stretch marks during pregnancy.’
- ‘I was as round as ever and there was a big stretch mark across my belly.’
- ‘Dry skin and stretch marks can, for example, be treated by direct skin-application of cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil.’
- ‘As your breasts grow and the skin stretches, you may feel itchiness or develop stretch marks.’
- ‘To reduce the depth of stretch mark scars, doctors can employ surgical procedures that scrape or peel off layers of skin.’
- ‘Where the fibres break, the skin becomes thinner, and these areas show as stretch marks.’
- ‘But those diseases don't leave stretch marks like those of pregnancy.’
- ‘Liposuction is not a treatment for weight control or obesity and it cannot remove cellulite or stretch marks.’
- ‘The frankness of Poynton's gaze reveals each of the three as naked and exposed, their skin rendered unnervingly, with attention given to every hair, vein and stretch mark.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.