One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Streaks or stripes on the skin, especially on the abdomen, caused by distension of the skin from obesity or during pregnancy.
- ‘The frankness of Poynton's gaze reveals each of the three as naked and exposed, their skin rendered unnervingly, with attention given to every hair, vein and stretch mark.’
- ‘Pink or purple stretch marks may form on your skin.’
- ‘A stretch mark results when the skin tears after being expanded beyond its limits.’
- ‘It shows every bulge, every stretch mark, and every flaw.’
- ‘But those diseases don't leave stretch marks like those of pregnancy.’
- ‘As your breasts grow and the skin stretches, you may feel itchiness or develop stretch marks.’
- ‘She felt enormous in the ugly way girls do when they notice a new stretch mark.’
- ‘Essentials such as pregnancy testing kits, a cot, pushchair, car seat and even stretch mark cream are then added to the cost.’
- ‘There is no way to prevent stretch marks during pregnancy.’
- ‘There is a different kind of scar on my stomach - a single stretch mark from bearing my son.’
- ‘To reduce the depth of stretch mark scars, doctors can employ surgical procedures that scrape or peel off layers of skin.’
- ‘Where the fibres break, the skin becomes thinner, and these areas show as stretch marks.’
- ‘Between 75 and 90% of women develop stretch marks during pregnancy.’
- ‘Liposuction is not a treatment for weight control or obesity and it cannot remove cellulite or stretch marks.’
- ‘Obsessed with the extra weight and stretch marks now marring her abdomen and hips, she became even more depressed.’
- ‘I was as round as ever and there was a big stretch mark across my belly.’
- ‘Now, I'm the epitome of slim, so imagine my surprise when I discovered that I was afflicted with a stretch mark on my tummy!’
- ‘Typically, women complain of stretch marks mostly on the abdomen, breasts and buttocks.’
- ‘If the stretch mark extends well above that level, some of them may be left behind, even in a belt lipectomy.’
- ‘Dry skin and stretch marks can, for example, be treated by direct skin-application of cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.