One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A condition (found chiefly in women) in which there is involuntary emission of urine when pressure within the abdomen increases suddenly, as in coughing or jumping.
- ‘It found a genetic factor for stress incontinence but not for urge incontinence, which seems to depend more on environmental factors and parity.’
- ‘Another minimally invasive procedure for the treatment of stress incontinence is periurethral injection.’
- ‘Urodynamic studies corroborated patient-reported reduction in rates of stress incontinence after surgery.’
- ‘In up to 75 percent of ambulatory women with incontinence, urodynamic stress incontinence is the main condition.’
- ‘They studied 121 women with stress incontinence who were referred to six gynecology clinics in Finland.’
- ‘Benefits were reported in all areas except urinary stress incontinence.’
- ‘A smoker's cough could worsen urine leakage related to stress incontinence.’
- ‘The result of weak sphincter or pelvic muscles, stress incontinence involves urine leakage with physical activity, laughing, or coughing.’
- ‘Surgery can be used to treat moderate to severe stress incontinence.’
- ‘Women who remained on medical treatment showed significant improvements from baseline in pelvic pain, pelvic or bladder pressure, and stress incontinence symptoms.’
- ‘Urinary incontinence, particularly stress incontinence, is not an uncommon occurrence in women as they get older or after childbirth.’
- ‘Pelvic muscle exercise appears to be superior to electric stimulation and vaginal cones in the treatment of stress incontinence.’
- ‘Patients can present with frequent or constant dribbling, overactive bladder or stress incontinence.’
- ‘The symptoms include urgency, urge incontinence, frequency, and stress incontinence.’
- ‘Cystometry and uroflowmetry are recommended in women with genital prolapse to evaluate potential stress incontinence, other overt urinary incontinence, and emptying phase dysfunction.’
- ‘Surgery can cure most women with stress incontinence.’
- ‘For instance, some patients will complain of stress incontinence only when they have a severe cold with coughing or during periods of excessive activity.’
- ‘The most common cause of stress incontinence is dysfunction of the urethra or bladder neck, which leads to urethral insufficiency.’
- ‘Some patients will exhibit symptoms suggestive of both urge and stress incontinence.’
- ‘Conservative treatments, centring on retraining the pelvic floor musculature, have been shown to be effective among older women with stress incontinence.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.