Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A fracture of a bone caused by repeated (rather than sudden) mechanical stress.
- ‘There is some doubt in his voice as he discusses recovering from the stress fracture that was his first major injury.’
- ‘An MRI scan revealed the stress fracture in May, but the 16-year - old has been given the medical all-clear.’
- ‘The diagnosis was a double stress fracture of his back.’
- ‘Your doctor may order a bone scan to help diagnose subtle or hidden bone fractures that may not show up on a routine X-ray, such as a stress fracture.’
- ‘Approximately 60 percent of persons with a stress fracture have had a previous stress fracture.’
- ‘Although its cause remains obscure, the problem most likely begins as a stress fracture.’
- ‘To compound her problems, she also had a minor stress fracture in her left foot and a bone spur.’
- ‘Even his latest injury, a stress fracture of his left foot, side-lining him for the best part of a month, has been presented as a big advantage.’
- ‘A hospital scan has revealed a muscular problem rather than any stress fracture but the injury is still expected to sideline Hoggard for at least a fortnight.’
- ‘Plain radiography and bone scans may be used to detect calcaneal stress fracture.’
- ‘But injuries continue to dog his career, a stress fracture of the foot being the latest.’
- ‘Then came yet another cruel twist when scans revealed a stress fracture of the upper tibia in his left leg.’
- ‘It was later discovered, however, that the filly sustained a stress fracture to a cannon bone in that race.’
- ‘Most fractures can be clearly diagnosed by X-ray, although some types, such as a fracture of the base of the thumb, or a stress fracture, do not show up reliably.’
- ‘He returned today, and a foot x-ray revealed a stress fracture of the third metatarsal.’
- ‘Pain with bony palpation may indicate fracture, stress fracture, or insertional tendinitis.’
- ‘In cases in which MRI scan does not reveal stress fracture, clinicians may consider using bone scintigrams.’
- ‘Last year, he was plagued by an ankle injury and a painful stress fracture in his lower left leg that made it impossible for him to run.’
- ‘On the basis of this scan and the physical examination, the diagnosis of ulnar stress fracture was made and the patient was treated accordingly.’
- ‘After the metatarsals, the calcaneus is the most common location in the foot for a stress fracture.’
stress fracture/stres ˈfrak(t)SHər/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.