Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A bacterium of a genus that includes the agents of souring of milk and dental decay, and hemolytic pathogens causing various infections such as scarlet fever and pneumonia.→ strep
- ‘Other agents occasionally implicated are pneumococci, staphylococci, streptococci, and Candida albicans.’
- ‘In many cases, these organisms are streptococci or staphylococci bacteria.’
- ‘Then a starter culture of lactic streptococci and lactobacilli bacteria is added.’
- ‘Impetigo is a skin infection that is generally caused by one of two bacteria: Group A streptococcus or Staphylococcus aureus.’
- ‘By using sugar fermentation, bacteriologists observed that haemolytic streptococci of human origin were broadly differentiated from those of bovine origin.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.