Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- short for streptococcus
- ‘His wife Sally was rushed into emergency surgery on Friday with the strep A bacteria infecting her leg.’
- ‘However, both the strep pneumonia bacteria and the pneumococcal pneumonia bacteria are, to some extent, natural residents in the human body.’
- ‘During this period Jonas Salk was in medical school, becoming a research assistant to a chemistry professor and developing ways to harvest the strep bacterium for further study.’
- ‘The flu disguised the strep and let it last long enough to pump the endotoxin into his body.’
- ‘They react to tissues in the heart valves as though they were the strep bacteria and cause the heart valves to thicken and scar.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.