Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Make or become stronger.with object ‘he advises an application of fluoride to strengthen the teeth’no object ‘the wind won't strengthen until after dark’
make strong, make stronger, build up, give strength to, make healthy, nourishreinforce, make stronger, buttress, brace, shore up, underpintoughen, temper, annealbecome strong, become stronger, gain strength, intensify, pick up, heightenfortify, bolster, make stronger, give strength to, give a boost to, boost, reinforce, harden, stiffen, toughen, steel, cementstep up, increase, heighten, escalate, scale upreinforce, make more forceful, lend more weight toView synonyms
- ‘But you see that the wind has strengthened and the branch of a tree has touched the glass.’
- ‘Tackle dog attacks and illegal breeding by increasing penalties and strengthening enforcement.’
- ‘If increasing the number of stores strengthens the company then he will continue to open more, he says.’
- ‘The wanton destructiveness of modern warfare strengthens this obligation.’
- ‘On the contrary most people are told daily that fluoride prevents tooth decay and strengthens the bones.’
- ‘It spreads and strengthens and multiplies until it smothers anything trying to stifle it.’
- ‘If voting strengthens the legitimacy of the regime this time, it had done the exact same thing four and eight years ago.’
- ‘Positive reinforcement is the delivery of a stimulus that strengthens the behavior.’
- ‘It strengthens muscles and increases endurance, which is very important during labour.’
- ‘The game, however, was played in constant rain and wind that strengthened as the match progressed.’
- ‘But, fair enough, there is a strong case for strengthening the links in a more systematic way.’
- ‘This may be our seventh win of the year, but it only strengthens our resolve to win more.’
- ‘It is strengthened by being reinforced by multiple people who accept its reality.’
- ‘Nicotine is the substance that reinforces and strengthens the desire to smoke.’
- ‘It strengthens the legal framework governing community rights to timber and other forest products.’
- ‘It reinforces and strengthens the power and influence of those who are fluent in the hegemonic language.’
- ‘Why have we not returned there in order to feel stronger and to further strengthen the land that strengthens us?’
- ‘At the end of the day, this strengthens its spirit, and this strength allows it to overcome its difficulties.’
- ‘Middlesbrough have made some fine investments and strengthened an already strong squad.’
- ‘The wind strengthened further, but several pulls suggested a fish would soon be landed.’
strengthen someone's hand (or hands)
Enable or encourage a person to act more vigorously or effectively.
- ‘But it wasn't just luck that was strengthening City 's hand.’
- ‘Although they have already succeeded beyond our worst nightmares, we must beware that we don't unwittingly strengthen their hand.’
- ‘Let us strengthen their hands in resolving such matters without endangering their seats.’
- ‘That strengthens Pakistan's hand in its dealings with India.’
- ‘It certainly strengthens his hand as he approaches these crucial league games and he is taking them very seriously.’
- ‘This certainly has strengthened Putin's hand especially in foreign affairs.’
- ‘In the short run the coup had the effect of strengthening his hand.’
- ‘But strengthening our hand by withdrawing our troops is one of those gambits that is too clever by half.’
- ‘The float also strengthens its hand and will bring capital into the business that will be used to reduce debt.’
- ‘I think Chuck is right about this strong vote in the Senate and the House sending a clear signal to the world and strengthening our hand at the U.N. That's important.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.