Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1An informal term for something, especially an illegal drug.
- ‘Marijuana has a variety of street names.’
- ‘It is a street name for sexual immorality.’
- ‘Street names for MDMA include Ecstasy, Adam, XTC, hug, beans and love drug.’
- ‘It is also known as methamphetamine and by the street names "ice" and " Nazi crank ".’
2North American The name of a brokerage firm, bank, or dealer in which stock is held on behalf of a purchaser.
- ‘Shares held in a brokerage account are very rarely registered in the shareholder's name and are instead registered in street name.’
- ‘You may have your security registered in street name and held in your account at your broker-dealer.’
- ‘To change the registration of a security that is not held in street name, you can transfer the title through our brokerage service or the transfer agent.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.