One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1An informal term for something, typically an illegal drug.
- ‘Street names for MDMA include Ecstasy, Adam, XTC, hug, beans and love drug.’
- ‘It is also known as methamphetamine and by the street names "ice" and " Nazi crank ".’
- ‘It is a street name for sexual immorality.’
- ‘Marijuana has a variety of street names.’
2North American The name of a brokerage firm, bank, or dealer in which stock is held on behalf of a purchaser.
- ‘Shares held in a brokerage account are very rarely registered in the shareholder's name and are instead registered in street name.’
- ‘To change the registration of a security that is not held in street name, you can transfer the title through our brokerage service or the transfer agent.’
- ‘You may have your security registered in street name and held in your account at your broker-dealer.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.