One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1An informal term for something, typically an illegal drug.
- ‘It is also known as methamphetamine and by the street names "ice" and " Nazi crank ".’
- ‘It is a street name for sexual immorality.’
- ‘Street names for MDMA include Ecstasy, Adam, XTC, hug, beans and love drug.’
- ‘Marijuana has a variety of street names.’
2North American The name of a brokerage firm, bank, or dealer in which stock is held on behalf of a purchaser.
- ‘You may have your security registered in street name and held in your account at your broker-dealer.’
- ‘Shares held in a brokerage account are very rarely registered in the shareholder's name and are instead registered in street name.’
- ‘To change the registration of a security that is not held in street name, you can transfer the title through our brokerage service or the transfer agent.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.