One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The flow of water in a stream or river.
- ‘We will have to deal with new conditions such as a shorter winter and not as much snowpack, in addition to a longer summer when there may be lower streamflows along with increases in the demand for water.’
- ‘Critical snowpack data and streamflow projections will be released in early March and should tell us more about how severe water restrictions are likely to be for Platte River irrigators.’
- ‘In 1999, for example, streamflow was at or below average for sites in the southern part of the state, and at or above normal for the northern part.’
- ‘The scarcity of long-term data precludes conclusive statements about the streamflow trends.’
- ‘Similarly, in the third study, scientists found that streamflows in most western rivers occur almost one to three weeks earlier now than they did in the middle of the 20th century.’
- ‘Southwest Nebraska still remains a concern due to effects from the prolonged drought on hydrological components including streamflow rates and reservoir recharge.’
- ‘But the states' streamflows and ground-water levels still haven't completely recovered from the small amounts of precipitation that fell this past fall and winter.’
- ‘Accumulated streamflow volume since Jan.1 is considerably below last year's record setting year.’
- ‘A streamflow regime is the average pattern of seasonal variation in streamflow.’
- ‘Northeast, southwest, and southeast Nebraska have all experienced significant streamflow declines during the last 30 days.’
- ‘Field verification is often necessary in the wake of extreme weather or flooding to ensure that streamflow and stage calculations are accurate.’
- ‘The mid-April snow storm will provide significant moisture for increased streamflow on the southern branch of the Platte River in Colorado.’
- ‘The significant declines in reservoirs and the low streamflows are indicative of the deficiencies.’
- ‘Many places in the East are already experiencing above-average streamflows and it won't take much rain to push rivers outside their banks.’
- ‘Convectional and frontal rainfall in summer and autumn is also an important source of water for streamflow generation.’
- ‘Significant improvements in streamflow rates on the Platte River upstream of Lake McConaughy are being observed.’
- ‘The El Reno scientists are examining how high-tech seasonal forecasts and precipitation-trend data can be better used to gauge long-term effects on streamflow and water supplies.’
- ‘The streamflow information used for statistical computation in this study also is used for water management, monitoring floods and droughts, bridge design and many other uses.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.