One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Long, thin lines of a different color from their surroundings, especially on dyed hair.
- ‘Females are brown above with varying degrees of brown and buff streaking below.’
- ‘This sparrow has prominent streaking on its breast with a conspicuous dark spot in the center of it.’
- ‘An example of light streaking is the swirling trails of automobile head- and taillights.’
- ‘Immature birds are brown above with brown streaking on their white underparts; they have yellow eyes.’
- ‘The Black Merlin is solid black on the head and back, and dark with a minimal amount of light streaking on the breast.’
- ‘The juvenile is mottled-brown above with brown and buff streaking below.’
- ‘Once you are happy with the amount of streaking, rub the powder into the clay until the surface texture is smooth.’
- ‘Two helpful tips the authors present are that lymphangitic streaking is often consistent with cutaneous infection, and that splenomegaly is rare in metastatic cancer.’
- ‘There are three principal sources of variation: size, especially wing length; darkness of the mantle; and degree of streaking on the mantle.’
- ‘Lymphangitic streaking was absent.’
- ‘The nodule has a relatively fracture-free interior that is an off-white color tinged with green streaking.’
- ‘The males are usually a bold red, but first year males are yellow-orange with red streaking.’
- ‘Sputum cultures showed bacterial colonies appearing outside areas of streaking in an unusual pattern.’
- ‘Radiography showed linear streaking of the metaphyses of the long bones.’
- ‘The head is mostly white, with a limited amount of brown streaking, especially in non-breeding plumage.’
- ‘Damage from the Russian wheat aphid ranges from yellow or whitish streaking to purpling of the damaged leaves.’
- ‘For instance, song sparrows here in Bel Air have highly visible, dark streaking on the white underparts and long, white streaks on the sides of the crown and chin.’
- ‘Immature birds are brown above with diffuse brown streaking below; they have yellow eyes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.