One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A junior supervisor, especially a worker who has some responsibility but little authority.
supervisor, overseer, superintendent, manager, boss, team leader, line manager, controllerView synonyms
- ‘He was a weaving-room straw boss at the cotton mill - a job which had been offered to my father because my mother's family owned enough shares in the company to snag him a supervisory position.’
- ‘He was assigned to "picking", then to "dragging", and then he was promoted to straw boss and told to supervise the other workers.’
- ‘What piquantly captured the imagination of each, from competitor to consumer to straw boss to newly outsourced consultant, was how all-inclusive the bench warrant was.’
- ‘But a congressional straw boss said incredibly that he would only allow the alleged correction as part of yet another big tax cut with more goodies for the serious income brackets.’
- ‘Is this man a straw boss or just a smart political operator?’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.