One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The branch of geology concerned with the order and relative position of strata and their relationship to the geological time scale.
- ‘More than any other fossil collector in the western New York area, Tom paid attention to the scientific aspects of paleontology, stratigraphy, and geology in general.’
- ‘Responding to Knight, he referred to stratigraphy as ‘the heart of geology’, and maintained that stratigraphy and paleontology were mutually dependent.’
- ‘The sixty pages on palaeontology emphasize geology and stratigraphy and chiefly illustrate trilobites.’
- ‘Despite his expanding interest in biological questions, Weller remained a strong proponent of stratigraphy and practical geology, both in the classroom and in research.’
- ‘Nearly three hundred years later, the rediscovery and elaboration of these principles would make possible modern stratigraphy and geological mapping.’
- ‘With the new discipline of stratigraphy to hand, geological maps of both practical and academic value could be, and were, produced by surveyors and scholars towards the end of the eighteenth century.’
- ‘Much research has been of interest to, and sponsored by, the petroleum industry, and many facets of the research are as significant to stratigraphy and basin analysis as to palaeobiology’
- 1.1 The analysis of the order and position of layers of archaeological remains.
- ‘The up-to-date stratigraphy and earlier radiometric dates on these and other Late Precambrian rocks of this area are given in Pharaoh & Gibbons.’
- ‘This initial stratigraphy is used as the platform to investigate the lava flow faciès distribution in more detail and from there to construct a 3D geological model of the lava field heterogeneity.’
- ‘The relative chronology derived from the radar stratigraphy clearly shows that the dune has migrated from east to west.’
- ‘The geological mapping allowed a detailed revision of the regional stratigraphy.’
- ‘Lysons did not fully understand stratigraphy, and he mistook the date of the villa.’
- ‘In the final section Bosence and Wilson discuss the complexities of sequence stratigraphy in carbonate settings and introduce the use of numeric stratigraphic modeling for facies prediction.’
- ‘Tertiary stratigraphy throws considerable light on landform and river development.’
- ‘A series of new findings are now available, which permit the general Jurassic stratigraphy of Jabal Akhdar to be significantly refined.’
- ‘The water depths used for this calculation were established by adopting the pattern of relative sea-level variations inferred from sequence stratigraphy.’
- ‘Recent developments in Pleistocene stratigraphy have enabled a better correlation to be made of terrestrial sequences with the much more complete marine sequences.’
- ‘Although Lower Cambrian stratigraphy remains in a state of some uncertainty, therefore, it is possible at present to present a provisional view of the sequence of events in at least some areas of the world.’
- ‘A combination of radar facies analysis and radar stratigraphy has been used to interpret the radar profiles and define a relative chronology.’
- ‘But unless you have already mastered vertebrate anatomy, Mesozoic stratigraphy, and phylogenetic analysis, it's probably not the place to begin.’
- ‘Such estimates of time-scale based on the stratigraphy of canyon fill will remain uncertain, however, until the nature of the fill is better understood.’
- ‘Inspiration is gained from the actions of the archaeologist, using stratigraphy as a recording practice, that records spacio-temporal paradigms.’
- 1.2 The structure of a particular set of strata.
- ‘A second constraint on the timescale of canyon filling relates to the cyclic stratigraphy documented at the Umberatana syncline example.’
- ‘In this study we concentrate on the field relations and stratigraphy of the pyroclastic deposits within the lower volcanics.’
- ‘The late Mesozoic and Cenozoic stratigraphy of northern Chile is shown in Figure 3.’
- ‘The accepted stratigraphy of the Dalradian block is presented in Figure 1.’
- ‘The recognition of an orogenic unconformity at the base of the Easdale Subgroup allows for a more realistic overall interpretation of Dalradian stratigraphy.’
- ‘Despite the relatively coherent chronological stratigraphy demonstrated at the ice patches, temporal gaps are evident.’
- ‘Conversely, there is during this time interval a general scarcity of erupted igneous rocks that can be reliably tied into relative stratigraphy.’
- ‘Several other interruptions within the Cenozoic stratigraphy of the Zagros region have long been attributed to epirogeny.’
- ‘The ophiolite contains a complete igneous stratigraphy of serpentinized ultramafics, gabbro, sheeted dykes and pillow lavas, as described by Moores.’
- ‘The overlying Pliocene reflections display a regular layer-cake stratigraphy of downwarped reflections defining a U-shaped depression.’
- ‘The volcanic stratigraphy, consisting dominantly of flood basalts with interbedded pyroclastic deposits, is well-exposed in East Greenland.’
- ‘At the museum, Cooper worked in contact with U.S. Geological Survey paleontologists whose concerns were brachiopods and Lower Paleozoic stratigraphy.’
- ‘These rocks are generally divided into two major types in view of their lithology, internal stratigraphy and contact relationships with surrounding rocks.’
- ‘Oscillating reactions are thought to play key roles in biological morphogenesis and geologic stratigraphy.’
- ‘Completing the exhibitions is a diorama of the geology of the area north of Johannesburg, the Magaliesburg area, that shows details of the region's topography, geology, and stratigraphy.’
- ‘The geologic setting and stratigraphy of the Cape Phillips Formation were noted by MacDonald.’
- ‘Due to the cave's deep, complex stratigraphy, the geological context of associated material culture has been particularly challenging to interpret.’
- ‘Recent work on Upper Cretaceous sequence stratigraphy in European basins has demonstrated that chalks provide valuable information on short- and long-term sea-level change.’
- ‘For details of reflection characteristics, especially in the Mesozoic stratigraphy, the reader is referred to the literature cited above.’
- ‘The sills are structurally disrupted by the same tectonic features that imbricate other elements of the Bainang terrane stratigraphy.’
Mid 19th century: from stratum + -graphy.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.