One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A hinge with long leaves or flaps for screwing on to the surface of a door or gate.
- ‘The exception is the chest in Plate I on which the present butt hinges are replacements for the original strap hinges.’
- ‘It is made of three wide planks of oak, bound together with galvanized strap hinges.’
- ‘Two panels hang from posts with heavy strap hinges so they can swing open for loading bulky furniture and garden supplies.’
- ‘Attach the tip of the trowel to one side of a narrow strap hinge using epoxy made for metal.’
- ‘It is a subtle blending of these two materials with white shutters sporting handsome wrought iron strap hinges.’
strap hinge/ˈstrap ˌhinj/
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.