One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A bar with one accurately straight edge, used for testing whether something else is straight.
- ‘They checked to see if the slab would easily wrap around the pipe and then used a straight edge to cut out an appropriate-sized rectangle from the clay.’
- ‘Then, with a straight edge, score along your chalk line.’
- ‘Setting out methods have changed little in five millennia: with nails, string, and a straight edge even the most elaborate design can be successfully laid out.’
- ‘Assemble the frieze sections on level ground, and against a straight edge to keep them square, before toenailing them to the 4x4 posts.’
- ‘Use a straight edge and a single-edged razor to cut down the middle of the overlapped seam, making sure the razor cuts through both pieces of border.’
- ‘After you've properly planned your plank flooring, use a straight edge and a permanent marker to mark over the chalked lines.’
- ‘Use a straight edge or ruler to help keep the blade vertical.’
- ‘Using the metal ruler as a straight edge cut 10 1-inch right triangles with the craft knife.’
- ‘Butt the crown molding up against the straight edge and nail it into place with finishing nails.’
- ‘Using a straight edge and black marker, Irvan draws a square.’
- ‘The first line was marked using a straight edge, and the following marks were made using a custom made gauge attached to a modified plow.’
- ‘I clamp a steel straight edge in a vise and just draw the surface over the steel edge a few times.’
- ‘I use a metal straight edge to tear paper and haven't had any trouble with detached metal particles although I have read that this can be a problem.’
- ‘Measuring instruments, like levels and straight edges, are in that anomalous class of hand tools which do not directly affect the work piece, but only report on its status.’
(especially among fans of hardcore punk music) having an ascetic or abstinent lifestyle.‘he's so straightedge that he won't even take Tylenol when he has a headache’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.