One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Normal working hours, paid at a regular rate.
- ‘The industry overall will have straight-time capacity of 18.4 million units by 2009.’
- ‘An alternate work schedule can be adopted that permits employees to work longer days at straight time pay in exchange for fewer days in a work week.’
- ‘In 2003, including an estimate for overseas output aimed at North America, there was straight-time capacity for 1.496 million minivans.’
- ‘To put it simply, in British Columbia, pulp and paper mills overtime costs double the straight time rate.’
- ‘If on call and called in, nearly three out of five reported receiving time-and-a-half pay, and 6.5% reported receiving straight-time pay.’
- ‘Checks were written out for 40 hours at straight time while hours over 40 would be compensated at the $8.50 rate and paid on the side in cash.’
- ‘Maximum capacity integrates the legal overtime capability with straight time capacity.’
- ‘The effort will be suspended indefinitely, and the Narcotics Initiative and Operation Impact will be reduced to straight-time only.’
- ‘Under the current contract, workers hired before October 1999 will continue to draw 95 percent of their after-tax, straight-time pay for the life of the agreement.’
- ‘The plant does 45 jobs an hour with a 300,000 annual straight-time capacity.’
- ‘All hours worked over 40 hours per week will be paid at the straight time rate.’
- ‘The hospital pays $54 an hour for straight time and $81 an hour for overtime for each of the 250 nurses brought in from out of state.’
- ‘This arrangement helps the manufacturer out in a number of obvious ways, allowing them to run overtime when orders call for more of a particular computer than can be built on straight time.’
- ‘These make-up hours are paid at straight time and not at the time-and-a-half overtime rate.’
- ‘The Government is now seeking the freedom to end collective bargaining for most of the government employees and force workers to work overtime at straight time rates.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.