One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A straight-backed side chair.
- ‘Bob saw a large bed, a fireplace with a gas heater where the fire once went, a dresser, a couple of straight chairs and a large table covered with a Union Jack.’
- ‘Petty is across the way, leaning back in a straight chair, wearing jeans and a pressed white shirt.’
- ‘Victoria walks in quietly and attempts to sit down relatively unnoticed, but kicks her toe on an empty straight chair, creating a great racket.’
- ‘We got to sit on straight chairs, and they had this lady play sad songs on the piano while we were waiting for him to come in and lecture.’
- ‘I'm fine, but you can't be comfortable in that straight chair.’
- ‘Max sat in a hard-backed, straight chair, staring at the man as he paced before her.’
- ‘To the left and up a little is a second-story bedroom with only a brass bed and a straight chair.’
- ‘Russell dropped into the straight chair near the tiny bunk alcove and buried his head in his palms.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.