One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An honest, morally upright person.
- ‘Prior to that I'd always been a straight arrow, a model of restraint.’
- ‘I, Josephine Forbes, have always been a straight arrow, if you will.’
- ‘If you're an ordinary person you've got to be an absolute straight arrow.’
- ‘Joe was the straightest of the straight arrows, a real gentleman.’
- ‘Reichert is the naïve, by-the-book straight arrow and Keppel the imaginative, albeit somewhat troubled, veteran.’
- ‘English, once something of the good-guy, straight-arrow of the movie business, has morphed into a person everybody thinks there's something wrong with.’
- ‘Harry is an unbreakable straight arrow who remains completely uncontaminated in his search for the psycho.’
- ‘He had that public persona of being a real straight arrow - married and a father.’
- ‘But as times and tastes changed, it needed a catalyst to move beyond the shopworn stereotypes of cops as either by-the-book straight arrows or rakish, rule-breaking mavericks.’
- ‘You can tell his character is gonna be a straight arrow when he refuses to let an unctuous lobbyist buy him breakfast.’
- ‘Paul was what we called a straight arrow, maybe the straightest I have ever known.’
- ‘He had the reputation of a straight arrow with a passion for community causes, someone you could turn your back to without fear of being stabbed, someone who valued a good idea.’
- ‘I'm a straight arrow, and a superb administrator - when I see a need, the task is as good as done.’
- ‘Sure, Carter's still an idiot, Stan a straight arrow, and Kurt a complainer, but the boys seem to be showing signs of complexity and layering.’
- ‘Given his own natural inclination towards bizarre parts, the relatively straight arrow that is Murdoch appears to be a blip on his acting map.’
- ‘The reason I was in Regina, was that my little brother - straight arrow, crack shot, judo expert and noted stunt driver - graduated from the RCMP academy.’
- ‘It's useless to pretend you're just a straight arrow - nobody believes you anyway.’
- ‘Andie, the academic straight arrow, succumbs to the temptation to cheat on an important exam.’
- ‘The only thing you can really smear Clear with is his military service since he was such a straight arrow personally.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.