One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1An internal combustion engine with six cylinders in line.
- ‘In the latest version, the straight-six engine has been completely rebuilt with the crankcase now made of aluminium, which reduces engine weight by 20 kg.’
- ‘I headed towards Glenshee savouring the howl of the 3.2 litre straight-six as the rev-counter needle flicked up toward the 8000 rpm red line yet again.’
- ‘All its cars had double headlamps at the front, a straight-six engine in the middle, and rear-wheel drive at the back.’
- ‘The straight-six engine is one of the best with a great sound and potent pace.’
- ‘The cars remain superb to drive, the straight-six engine hums with satisfaction like no other, the security and responsiveness beyond reproach.’
- 1.1 A vehicle with an engine with six cylinders in line.
- ‘But the Lexus has its cylinders in V-configuration while the BMW is a straight-six.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.